Saturday, August 8, 2009

Gluten free goodness: Betty Crocker Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix

So I finally tried out Ms. Betty Crocker's newest Gluten Free offering: Gluten Free Yellow Cake Mix. First inaugural recipe: Banana Cupcakes with Brown Butter Frosting from BettyCrocker.com (For Recipe, Click Here).

The recipe was very easy to follow. Simply plus up the Betty Crocker mix with bananas, eggs, vanilla, butter and of course more butter, milk and powdered sugar for the frosting. Now, pre Gluten Free days, I ABHORRED boxed cake mix!! would not even consider boxed cake - NEVER!! Only Swan's Down cake flour for this girl (cake snob, i know!). But as I still have my gluten free training wheels on, I caved under recommendations from others who suggested the mix....and I am certainly glad I did!!

After mixing the batter, I placed them in my new silicone baking cups from Crate and Barrel - Highly recommend, BTW ( only bought a set of 12... so I had to supplement with Barbie cupcake liners - it's all the grocer had!) and baked for 18 minutes....
The cupcake was not moments out of the oven before one mysteriously vanished... hmmm.


Next step, brown butter frosting. 1/3 cup butter gently browned, cooled, then mixed with vanilla, milk and 3 cups powdered sugar. Whoever came up with this concoction - I would love to meet you and give you the biggest hug ever. It.Is.SOOOO. GOOOD!! You! Brilliant!

Look at the little specks of browned butter! yay!


This cupcake saved my life. Gluten free or not, you're life will change with one bite, I swear!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, I gotta say, these truly rocked my Little Politco's world! Annalisa, awesome! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete