Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chivilary is not dead... but I don't know what to do with it!

I just had to blog about this before I forgot about it... and it just happened to me again - so here I blog!

For those in the know, recently my work assignment changed and now call our corporate HQ home. "Headquarters" life is a bit of an adjustment, beyond the influx of emails, meetings and sweater vests (ew! guys don't do it!!) I find myself surprised and admittedly awkward around acts of chivalry: men opening doors, allowing women to exit the elevator first, etc. Don't get me wrong, the wonderful guys at design would hold doors open and such - and I found myself equally uncomfortable with it- but now it happens with more frequency. At least 4 times a day, I find myself in the awkward situation of "who goes first" through open doors or laugh when men will not enter through doors I hold open. My mom taught me to be independent and considerate, which means holding the door for anyone else, exiting elevators last, walking behind people if necessary, allowing elders to sit before me, etc. etc. and so forth. So when the door is held open for me, or people wait until I exit the elevator first, I'm a bit taken aback. I am sure I'll get used to it in time... but for right now, I find myself blushing, rushing awkwardly through doors and laughing nervously as cultural and social mores play out from elevator to entrance way!

Am I alone on this one? Gen X/Y ladies, do you feel me? Just throwing it out there!

No comments:

Post a Comment