Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Obession of the moment: Yoga Shelter, Royal Oak


Gentle Reader - I know you have heard all the hype - "Yoga is great!", "Yoga is SOOOO Amazing!", "OMG you have to TRY it!!". And your friends are right. It is indeed all those things. I used to practice at least twice a day to Yoga DVD's (Shiva Rea's videos were my FAV - highly recommend)...but found them routine after a while and fell out of it in favor of Turbo Jam (great workout!), Kickboxing and running. Then asthma and allergies hit and I found myself unable to work out for 3 months while I struggled to find the energy to breath. Now, those who know me understand I get crazy ant-sey during winter...I hate being indoors!!! And find myself on "the wet sock" as my D.H. would say. The whole not working out thing was just killing me. Wisely, my D.H. encouraged me to find an outlet. Perhaps dodgeball or yoga - he suggested.... serendipitously, the very next morning two friends (thanks J.E. and N.B-S!) encouraged me to join them for evening yoga at Yoga Shelter in Royal Oak.




"Free week trial"! they said "Great music and energy!" they pointed out. So I grabbed my inhaler, dusted off my yoga mat and went. They were right. The workout is done in a 90+ degree room to contemporary music (rock, pop, rap) - something I thought would be distracting but was an AMAZING enabler! Beginners classes do not exist. The philosophy is simple: Yoga is done at your pace - honor yourself. You will SWEAT your FACE off - in the most fantastic way! It's challenging, relaxing and rewarding. My fav classes so far are Sanya Vinyasa and Fusion. Check out the site - I'm happy to go to a class with you!! http://www.yogashelter.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment