Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Obsession of the Moment: Bob's Red Mill: Gluten Free All Purpose Flour

Tuesday's Obsession of the Moment goes to Bob's Red Mill's Gluten Free All Purpose Flour!

Recently, I was diagnosed with a whole slew of random allergies from outdoor to mold, yeast, gluten and dairy (incidentally, everything but cockroaches!!) . Now, for those of you who are unaware, my family is hardcore Italian - Sunday pasta dinners filled with meatball mowing, home-made wine drinking, cheese nibbling, sausage devouring, salami rolling, bread making, espresso drinking and cookie dunking goodness. I'm talking about GOOD TIMES!! Now - I can't even eat minestrone (most soup bases have MSG and yeast - two things I'm allergic to). Convinced my true calling was to become sommelier or chef - I relished the opportunity to practice my culinary craft. Now relegated to salads with lemon juice, lean meats and veggies - I have had to absolutely re-define eating...but did not want to give up my affinity for really, really good food.

One product I am grateful for is Bob's red mill - particularly the gluten free all purpose flour. Now listen up, peeps- this flour is THE BOMB for frying and pan sauteing. Great flavor, creates a wonderful brown and crispy crust - it's simply fantastic for cooking. In fact, I would use this flour even if I had the option to use normal flour - it's that good!

Recently, I made a super tasty meal with tilapia salted with kosher salt and pepper and dusted with Bob's red mill gluten free all purpose flour seasoned with fresh parsley and garlic salt. Lightly pan fried in olive oil then squeezed fresh lemon. SOOOOO simple, very fresh and incredibly yummie. I encourage you to try it! You can find Bob's big red mill products in Meijer, or on Amazon.com. Hey, while you're at Amazon - check out the reviews. I'm not the only one who loves it!!!

1 comment:

  1. What kind of symptoms were you having to find out you were allergic to so much? I mean, to switch to a gluten free diet?

    I have thought about a gluten free diet for other reasons....it just seems too difficult to do...

    ReplyDelete