Tuesday, April 21, 2009

WTF - Domino's Bread Bowl Pastas


Again, thanking my allergies for saving me from yet another taste and caloric debacle.


OK. I can sort of forgive Pizza Hut for branching out and bastardizing pasta. The recession causes us to do awful, awful things. Pasta is cheap (profits!), easy to smother in cheese (taste!) and quite difficult to screw up (mass produce!). As we say in my house, these pastas are "I-Talian". I-Talian is a phrase I coined during my tenure at Tony's Pizza . Inevitably, some person would ask for "I-Talian" dressin' with their Anti-Past-O salad and I would throw a few packets of mass produced yellow goo with specks of dehydrated vegetable grossness atop a salad stuffed with enough salami, ham and provolone to coax a mild heart attack. Now, if you've had the good fortune of speaking to a person of Italian heritage you will quickly hear we pronounce Italian like "eeeetalian" versus "EYE talian" (said with a southern drawl for effect). Hence foods which are "mock Italian" earn the I-Talian moniker - Olive Garden, Prego, Toscani Pasta and now the title goes to Domino's pizza for the all new Bread Bowl Pasta.
Simply - place greasy pasta in middle of cheesy breadstick dough, bake. add more cheese and butter, put in box and serve! According to Dominos.com They come in five varieties: Italian Sausage Marinara, Pasta Primavera, Chicken Alfredo, Three Cheese Mac-N-Cheese and Chicken Carbonara. You could order them without the bread bowl, but what's the fun in that?? These come in a bread bowl!! Like fancy Panera soup!! CLASSY!!!
Nutritional information is not listed yet - but really, can you blame them? Unless you're running the Boston Marathon, or an aspiring sumo wrestler I can't imagine the Domino's bread bowl pasta would be part of any dietary plan. But you know you want one. They’re available now and prices start at $5.99. You can order online and get a dollar off.
Want more cheesy, carb goodness? Check out one of my favorite websites, The Impulsive Buy for more info!

4 comments:

  1. Ugh! That hurts my gut just reading about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, each Pasta Bread Bowl is considered two servings (whether you share it or eat it all in one sitting is your choice), and the calories for both servings range from 670-740, with 24-28 grams of fat per Pasta Bread Bowl (meaning your individual serving is 335-370 calories). That's no health food, for sure, but still, it's way better than what I would have guessed. (And yes, this information was verified by Domino's PR.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maurice - Thanks for the calorie info... agreed, better than expected - but indeed not a health food :)

    ReplyDelete